BATS!

This morning, someone dropped off two tiny baby bats at the clinic. The staff set up a heating pad to keep them warm, then they called me. By the time I was able to pick them up, one had died. The second one was very hungry and was squeaking up a storm. As I was feeding him, the pager went off and I called. The person on the other end was the individual who had brought in the two bats....she found two more. We arranged to meet in Russellville in 15 minutes and I quickly wrapped up the feeding session for bat #1. As I met her, she showed me two more little ones, just like the first. One was cold and weak and I was dubious it would live long. By the time I had gotten home, it too, had passed away. #3 is weak, but fighting. The living two bats (#'s 1 & 3) eat well and are cuddled up next to each other. If they make it through the night, I'll get them to someone with more bat pup experience than I.

No comments: